Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mascara

Ok, so I used to never wear mascara but in the last few years I learned the error of my ways. Mascara is a great way to accent your eyes without looking like you're wearing a lot of makeup. It can also ramp up the sex appeal of a dramatic look. The trick is finding the right mascara.

A couple years ago I bought a sample pack of mascaras from Sephora. I'd list everything it had in it but I know I've thrown several away over time for various reasons. I'm honestly shocked by the conclusion that sample set lead me to- expensive mascara apparently sucks. There's only 2 brands out of the whole pack that I liked enough to use regularly. Everything else was either too clumpy, not obvious enough or had a bad applicator. My 2 favorites from the set were benefit Bad gal lash and Buxom Lash. Buxom is what I've used in most of my looks on here. It's good for dramatic, full lashes.

However, the best mascaras I've found are department store brands. Right now I'm in love with Covergirl mascaras. The lash blast length creates long, individual lashes without looking too much like you're wearing mascara. It comes out very smooth and natural looking. I have this in brown and black. I use the brown for more subtle daytime looks and on my bottom lashes and the black as a lengthening base for volumizing mascara. Which gets me to the last blast luxe, which is wonderful for volume without clumping. It's supposed to be a little shimmery and I'm not sure about that aspect but it does create a very full, sexy lash.

And then there's the glitter mascara :-D I've owned Femme Couture Lightning lash in gold for awhile and it's nice but leaves something to be desired. It has a regular mascara applicator so it's really easy to end up picking up the base mascara, rather than leaving glitter on the lashes. I've starting just dabbing it onto the ends of my lashes to get the most glitter. Unfortunately, even doing this the glitter still doesn't stand out very well. More recently I've purchased some Hard Candy Lash Tinsel from Wal-Mart and I'm absolutely in love with it. The applicator is just a bar so you can just dab the glitter onto your lashes and you get tons of glitter. I have been using the purple and silver glitters a lot lately. The silver really stands out and creates a dramatic look. The purple is darker so it's less obvious and really only stands out when you blink and it catches the light.

Over the next week or two I'm going to do shower tests with my favorite mascaras. I'll post pictures to share just how waterproof the different brands are. I got the idea a couple days ago when I showered after trying out my new Lash Blast Length on one eye and the Luxe on my other. I know most people are looking for waterproof mascara but I think anyone that's done costume makeup would be interested in mascara that runs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous. Rude/mean comments are unnecessary.